The Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) Pharmacy supports the care of your companion, equine, and farm animals during their hospital stay and when they are visited off-site by our field service veterinarians.
- Refills should be called in at least one business day before pickup.
- If the medication has no refills, needs to be compounded, or must be ordered for your animal, make the request several days in advance.
- Medications may be sent by overnight service for an additional charge.
Medications may be dispensed only to clients for those patients currently being treated by VTH clinicians. Products and services include the following:
- Unit-dose medication for in-hospital patients, optimizing care and reducing waste
- (IV) intravenous fluids and (TPN) parenteral nutrition solutions for patients
- Outpatient prescriptions to maintain the care of patients as they return home
- Compounding specialty prescriptions (The correct size and strength may not be commercially available to treat the range of animals seen at the VTH.)
- Compound products used in the hospital by different service areas
- Chemotherapy drugs prepared aseptically by trained staff
- Allergy shots (antigens) prepared on the order of our dermatologist
- OTC (over-the-counter) products, such as flea preventatives and shampoos
- Medication-dispensing machines, which provide after-hours and emergency access to necessary pharmaceuticals
- Skilled pharmacists who serve as a resource to veterinarians, students, and staff on drug selection, pharmaceutical dosages, drug information, drug interactions, and calculations
- Support for the educational needs of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine students during clinical practice rotations
- Support for client and patient needs through drug information and medication counseling to optimize drug therapy outcomes