Large Animal Services
Large animal emergencies: 540-231-4621
Large Animal Field Services provides on-the-farm primary and emergency patient care and preventive health care programs to horses and food animals within a 35-mile practice area of Blacksburg. On-farm consultations are provided to veterinarians outside the 35-mile radius.
- Appointments are scheduled Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 540-231-4621.
- For emergencies requiring a visit, call 540-231-4621 anytime, 24-hours a day.
Large Animal Hospital Services provides primary and emergency patient care and preventive health care programs to horses and food animals within a 35-mile practice area of Blacksburg. Patients outside a 35-mile radius of the hospital must be referred by their veterinarian. Either the referring veterinarian or the client may establish the appointment time.
- Hospital appointments are scheduled Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 540-231-4621.
- For emergencies, call 540-231-4621 anytime, 24-hours a day.
If referring an emergency, call 540-231-4621.
Referral services are available to all veterinary practitioners. The procedures are as follows:
- The referring veterinarian calls the Veterinary Teaching Hospital at 540-231-4621 to discuss the case with the appropriate clinician.
- Hospital clinicians communicate with the referring veterinarian or the client during the patient's treatment or hospitalization.
- The referring veterinarian will receive a letter upon discharge of the patient.
Because the Veterinary Teaching Hospital is staffed by faculty who have teaching, research, and administrative responsibilities, referrals will be made with the clinician on duty, unless otherwise directed by a specific clinician. This is true even if you have spoken with the clinician directly on the phone and he/she has recommended that the case be referred to the hospital.
- Consultations are provided to veterinarians outside the 35-mile radius service area.
- If the referring veterinarian wishes to request a farm visit, call the Veterinary Teaching Hospital at 540-231-4621 and request to speak to Equine Field Services or Food Animal Field Services about a farm visit. You will be connected with a clinician, or a clinician will return your call.