The Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine provides neurology services to equine patients in our hospital and on the farm through our Equine Field Service. If you have questions about our dental services, please contact us at 540-231-4621 for in-hospital or on-farm treatment.
- Neurologic exam to identify deficits and localize area of brain and spinal cord affected
- Radiographs of the cervical spine if cervical vertebral instability or cervical vertebral malformation (CVM/CVI) “wobbler” is suspected
- Blood work to help diagnose the cause of disease
- Cerebral spinal tap (CSF), if warranted: In some cases, we cannot identify the cause of the signs based on exam, radiographs, or blood work, and we need to obtain a sample of CSF fluid to submit for testing.
Causes of neurologic disease
The following are some common causes of neurologic disease:
- Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM)
- Cervical vertebral malformation/cervical vertebral instability (CVM/CVI), also known as “wobbler”
- Equine herpes myeloencephalopathy (EHM)
- West Nile Virus (WNV)
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis